Photo By morenina at Shuttterstock
Years ago, most families couldn’t afford an air conditioner, which was very expensive back then. Today, most families can afford an air conditioner, and they rely significantly on them during the summer.
Summer in Euless, TX, is very hot. The average summer day can reach 96 degrees, which can be uncomfortable if your air conditioner isn’t functioning correctly. If you are one of those people who spend more time indoors during the summer to escape the heat, a broken air conditioner is a significant problem. If your air conditioner cannot keep your home cool, you won’t stay comfortable in your home until you schedule an appointment for AC repair.
Several air conditioning issues can affect your home’s comfort. If the air conditioner in your home is experiencing any of the following problems, it is best to schedule an appointment for AC repair as quickly as possible.
#1 Thermostat Issues
The thermostat is your home is your HVAC system’s brain. It sends messages to your heater and air conditioner, letting the system know if you want heated or cool air and the temperature you want your home to be. If it isn’t functioning correctly, your heater and air conditioner won’t either.
There are a few tell-tale signs that your thermostat isn’t functioning correctly.
- The thermostat is unresponsive.
- Your home isn’t reaching the desired temperature.
- The unit cycles more frequently than it should.
- The temperature on the thermostat and the temperature in the home don’t match.
Before you schedule an appointment for AC repair, change the batteries in the thermostat. If this doesn’t solve the problem, it is time to call a professional. An HVAC tech can inspect the thermostat to determine if it can be repaired or if you are better off replacing the thermostat.
Thermostat technology has improved significantly over the last several years. For a while, the only type of thermostat that could help you save on your energy bills was a programmable thermostat. You can program the thermostat to change based on when you are home and when you aren’t, which can save you money.
Today, there are a couple more options, including:
- Wi-Fi thermostat: You can adjust the thermostat on your home from anywhere in the world as long as there is an internet connection. Wi-Fi thermostats can save you the trouble of programming your thermostat daily, based on your schedule. Being able to make adjustments whenever necessary is more convenient and less time-consuming.
- Smart thermostats: Smart thermostats work with your Google Home or Amazon Alexa. You can adjust the thermostat using the sound of your voice while you are home, and you can use the smart device’s app on your phone to make adjustments when you aren’t at home.
If it is time to replace your air conditioner, a tech from an AC repair company can discuss the pros and cons of your thermostat options.
#2 The Unit Is Producing Warm Air
When you turn on the air conditioner in your Euless, TX home, you expect to feel cold air coming from the vents. If the air is warm, you should schedule an appointment for AC repair.
A few issues can cause the unit to produce warm air, and you will need an HVAC tech to inspect the unit to make the necessary repair.
Before you call a professional in AC repair, check the setting on your thermostat. First, the thermostat should be set to the cooling mode. Next, check the fan setting. If it is set to “on,” the fan will continue running between cycles, and warm air will blow from the vents; therefore, it is best to set the fan to “auto.” Finally, make sure the temperature in the house is warmer than setting on the thermostat. The AC won’t kick on or produce cold air if it isn’t.
The issue could be due to any of the following problems.
- Clogged or dirty air filter: A dirty or clogged air filter will prevent the air from moving through the system, putting added strain on the unit, causing it to overheat, and could be the reason why your unit is producing warm air.
- Frozen evaporator coils: The evaporator coils play a significant role in keeping your home cool. They extract the warm air from your home, which is necessary to begin the cooling process. If the coils are frozen, they can’t do their job, and the unit will only be able to produce warm air.
- Low refrigerant or a refrigerant leak: Your air conditioner relies on refrigerant to produce cold air. If there isn’t enough refrigerant in the unit or it is leaking, the unit won’t produce cold air, and allowing the unit to continue running can cause significant damage.
- No power to the outdoor unit: The indoor and outdoor air conditioner units work together to keep your home cool. If there is no power going to the outdoor unit, it will produce warm air.
An AC repair company can find the cause of the problem and make the necessary repair, keeping your Euless, TX home cool and comfortable.
#3 Restricted Airflow
If you stand in front of the vents in your home when the AC is running, you should feel a powerful rush of cold air. If the airflow is restricted, the air conditioner will need to work harder to keep your home cool. Not only can the extra work cause your energy bills to increase, but it can also put added strain on your air conditioner, reducing its maximum lifespan. Replacing your air conditioner can be very costly; therefore, it is best to call an AC repair company as soon as you notice the airflow is restricted.
There are a few issues that can cause this problem, including;
- Clogged air ducts: Regardless of how clean you keep your home, dirt, dust, and other debris can build up on the air ducts, and reduced airflow isn’t the only problem caused by clogged air ducts. When the unit is running, the debris in the ducts will circulate in the air, affecting your home’s air quality. A professional in AC repair can clean the ducts, which allows adequate airflow, and you can be sure your home’s air quality is safe.
- Damaged air ducts: The air ducts in your Euless, TX home are responsible for delivering cool, treated air from the unit to the vents in your home. If the air ducts are damaged, the cool air will escape before reaching the vents, resulting in poor airflow. An HVAC tech can repair the ducts, allowing the air to reach the vents.
- Faulty blower: The blower forces the air from the unit, through the ducts and to the vents in your home. If the blower isn’t working correctly, the air won’t move through the ducts, resulting in poor airflow. A professional in AC repair can repair or replace the blower, improving the airflow.
The sooner you call an AC repair company, the sooner the airflow will improve.
#4 Strange Smells
The air conditioner in your Euless, TX home should produce clean, odorless cold air. If you smell something strange when the unit runs, it is best to call an AC repair company, and the smell can help the tech determine the cause of the problem.
- Mold: Mold in the air ducts is the most common cause of a moldy smell. The air ducts in your home are dark, and the humidity can create moisture, which is the perfect environment for mold growth.
Mold in the ducts is a serious issue because mold spores can circulate in the air when the system runs, which can be harmful to your family’s health. According to the CDC, breathing in mold can cause allergy symptoms, skin burns, respiratory issues, and weaken the immune system. In addition, breathing in mold can worsen chronic respiratory or lung conditions.
An AC repair company can inspect the ducts for mold, and it can be eradicated with an antimicrobial fogger.
If the air ducts are clean, the mold could be in the air conditioner, which can be harder to eliminate. If the tech cannot reach the mold, they will recommend replacing the air conditioner.
- Burning: A burning smell signifies an electrical or wiring issue. If you smell something burning, it is best to immediately turn off the unit and schedule an AC repair appointment. Continuing to use the AC can cause an electrical fire, putting your home and family at risk.
#5 Moisture or Leaks Around the Unit
The area around the air conditioner in your Euless, TX home should be dry. If there is moisture or leaks around the unit, it is best to call an AC repair company right away.
Moisture on the floor, walls, or unit often signifies a clogged or broken condensate hose. Fortunately, this is a relatively simple fix, and it should be repaired right away because allowing the problem to persist can cause water damage and mold growth.
Fluid pooling around the unit often signifies a refrigerant leak. This is a serious issue because, without adequate refrigerant, the unit won’t function properly.
If your system is less than ten years old, an AC repair tech can repair the leak and refill the refrigerant. However, if your unit is over ten years old, you may need to replace the air conditioner.
Older units use R-22 refrigerant, which the Environmental Protection Agency deemed toxic and harmful to the environment. First, the government slowed down production, and on January 1, 2020, the U.S. government banned the production of R-22. If you have a refrigerant leak, it can be repaired; however, the tech won’t have R-22 to refill the system; therefore, you will need to replace your air conditioner.
#6 Strange Sounds
The air conditioner in your Euless, TX home isn’t designed to be silent, and it is normal to hear a faint clicking sound when the unit cycles. If the system makes any other sounds, you should call an AC repair company right away. The sound the unit makes can help the tech find the source of the problem.
- Banging: Banging often signifies there’s a loose or broken part, or the compressor needs to be replaced.
- Clanging: This signifies a loose part or a part that is out of balance. In addition, a clanging sound can occur if the indoor or outdoor fan blades are out of balance.
- Buzzing: Several issues can cause a buzzing sound, including loose parts, dirty condenser coils, the blower is out of balance or failing, or a refrigerant leak. This sound can also occur if there is debris in the indoor or outdoor unit.
- High pitched screaming: This sound signifies a pressure buildup in the unit, which can be very dangerous; therefore, you should turn off the unit right away and call an AC repair company.
Waiting to call an AC repair company can cause further damage; therefore, it is best to make the call immediately.
Why Choose One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating Of Fort Worth?
If your air conditioner isn’t functioning correctly and you need to schedule an appointment for AC repair, call One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating of Fort Worth. We are a full-service HVAC company, serving customers in the area since 1988. Excellent service has been our top priority since we opened our doors, which is why many of our customers have been loyal customers for as many as 20 years.
Our HVAC techs are professionally trained, licensed, and NATE certified, qualifying them to handle any HVAC service. HVAC technology is constantly evolving; therefore, we require our techs to receive ongoing training. We want to be sure our techs can install, maintain and repair the latest HVAC models.
Your comfort is important to us, so we provide emergency service. If you have an issue that cannot wait, we have techs on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you call with an emergency issue, we will do our best to get a tech to your home as quickly as possible.
We have an excellent reputation in the community and have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, and we have a 5-star rating on Google. If you are looking for an established HVAC company with an excellent reputation to repair your AC, give us a call today.