Photo By pagadesign at istock
During the hot summer months in Fort Worth, TX, your air conditioning system becomes the most essential system in your home. Fort Worth summers are very hot. The average temperature o a summer day can reach 98 degrees, and the humidity can make it feel hotter than it actually is.
During the summer, many people spend more time in their air-conditioned homes to escape the heat. If your air conditioner isn’t functioning properly, your home won’t reach the desired temperature, making it impossible to stay cool and comfortable in your home.
If you want to be sure your air conditioner will cool your home all summer long, you need to be able to recognize the signs that your air conditioner isn’t functioning properly, so you can schedule an appointment for air conditioning service. If you cannot tell if there is an issue with your air conditioner, a minor issue can quickly escalate, and your system will require a major, expensive repair.
If the air conditioner in your Forth Worth, TX home is exhibiting any of the following issues, you should call an air conditioning repair.
#1 The Vents Are Blowing Warm Air
One of the most obvious signs that your air conditioner isn’t functioning properly is if warm air is blowing from the vents. If your air conditioner isn’t blowing cold air, it will be impossible for your home to reach the desired temperature.
Before you call an air conditioning service, check the thermostat. For your system to produce cold air, it needs to be set to the cooling mode. In addition, the temperature setting on the thermostat must be lower than the temperature in the home. If it isn’t, the air conditioner won’t produce cool air.
If your thermostat is set correctly, you will need to call an air conditioning company.
The most common reason the vents are blowing warm air is a faulty compressor. The issue could also be block airflow in the system or a faulty thermostat.
When you call an air conditioning company, an HVAC tech will inspect your system to figure out what is causing the issue and make the necessary repair.
Until you schedule an appointment for air conditioning service, your home won’t be cool and comfortable.
#2 Frequent Cycling
When it gets really hot in Fort Worth, TX, your air conditioner will come on more often to keep your home cool. Although the system is turning on more frequently, it should still do so at regular intervals.
If your system is cycling more frequently, you should call an air conditioning company.
There are a few different issues that can cause frequent cycling.
- Dirty air filter: A dirty air filter causes limited airflow. When too much hot air builds up in the AC, and cool air cannot get in. This can cause the system to overheat, which causes your system to cycle frequently.
- Frozen coils: Frozen coils often occur when it is too cold outside for the air conditioning to be running, particularly at night. When the coils freeze, your air conditioner will cycle frequently.
- Electrical issues: If the electrical connections are loose or corroded, your air conditioner will lose power temporarily, causing the system to cycle more frequently than it should.
It is essential to call an air conditioning service as soon as the system starts cycling frequently. The longer you wait, whatever is causing the issue will only worsen and result in a complete air conditioner breakdown.
#3 Ice In the System
The air conditioner in your home is supposed to be cold; however, if there is ice forming on the unit’s components, you have a problem that needs to be addressed immediately. Ice in the system can make it impossible for your AC to keep your home cool, and you should call an air conditioning company immediately.
This issue can occur if there there is weak airflow over the evaporator coil. This coil has cold refrigerant flowing through it, and there is a blower that pulls the air from your home, then over the coil, and produces cold air. If there isn’t enough air flowing over the coil, there will be less heat to absorb, and it can freeze.
The most common cause of freezing in the system is low refrigerant. When there isn’t enough refrigerant in your system, the pressure will drop drastically, causing the evaporator coil to get very cold, and it will eventually freeze.
You may be able to thaw the coil yourself; however, unless you call an air conditioning service to repair the issue, it will keep occurring over and over again.
#4 Poor Airflow From the Vents
If there is inadequate airflow coming from the vents in your home, it can be difficult for your home to reach the desired temperature. Poor airflow will cause your air conditioner to work overtime to keep your home cool. This excess work can cause your energy bills to increase significantly, and the excess strain can reduce the lifespan of your air conditioner. This is an issue that requires the immediate call to an air conditioning service.
There are a few issues that can cause poor airflow.
- Clogged air ducts: The issue may not have to do with the air conditioning system itself but with the air ducts. Over time, large amounts of dirt, dust, pet dander, and other debris can build up in the air ducts, obstructing the airflow. When your air conditioner is running, the debris will circulate through the air, affecting the air quality in your home. When you call an air conditioning service, they can clean the ducts, allowing for maximum airflow.
- Damaged air ducts: If there is a crack in the air ducts, the cold air will leak out before reaching the vents, resulting in limited airflow.
- Clogged air filter: A clogged air filter limits the amount of air pulled in from your home, restricting the airflow.
- Frozen evaporator coil: When the evaporator coil freezes, it will block the air that passes over the coils into the duct system, causing restricted airflow.
- Faulty blower: The blower is a fan that pushes the cool air from your air conditioner through the ducts and out the vents. If the blower isn’t functioning properly, the air-conditioned air will have trouble reaching the vents.
Because there are so many issues that can cause limited airflow, it is best to call an air conditioning service. An HVAC tech will inspect the system and the air ducts to find the cause of the problem so it can be resolved.
#5 Thermostat Issues
If the thermostat in your home isn’t functioning properly, your air conditioner won’t function properly either. The thermostat is your HVAC system’s brain. It tells your system when to heat and cool your home and the temperature you want your home to be.
There are a few issues that will let your know that your thermostat is faulty.
- The thermostat is unresponsive. (Before you call an air conditioning service, check if changing the batteries will solve the problem.
- Your HVAC system won’t turn on.
- Your air conditioner is frequently cycling.
When you call an air conditioning company, an HVAC tech will test the thermostat to determine if it needs to be replaced. If so, you should discuss the thermostat options available. Thermostat technology has improved over the years, and there are options that can help you save money on your cooling costs.
- Programmable thermostats: Programmable thermostats allow you to set your system to turn on and off at scheduled times. You can also set the thermostat to increase the temperature in your home when nobody is home and decrease the temperature before you arrive home. When your system isn’t set on full blast 24 hours a day, you can save a significant amount of money.
- Wi-Fi thermostats: Wi-Fi thermostats can be controlled using your smartphone or tablet, as long as you have a Wi-Fi connection. You can control your thermostat from anywhere in the world, which can cut down on your cooling costs.
- Smart thermostats: If you have a Google Nest or an Amazon Alexa in your Fort Worth, TX home, you can buy a compatible thermostat that allows you to control it using the sound of your voice. If you aren’t home, you can use the app to control the thermostat from wherever you are.
When you call an air conditioning service, the HVAC tech will install the thermostat of your choice.
#6 The Fan Isn’t Working On the Outside Unit
Your air conditioning system’s outdoor unit is designed to transfer the hot air from inside your house, outside. When your air conditioner is running, the fan should be spinning. If it isn’t, you should call an air conditioning service immediately.
When the fan isn’t functioning, the compressor can overheat, which can cause damage to the system. In some cases, the damage cannot be repaired, and you will need to have the system replaced.
The best way to protect the air conditioner in your Fort Worth, TX home is to call an air conditioning company as soon as the fan stops spinning.
#7 The Breaker Is Tripping Frequently
If you have to reset the breaker for your air conditioner often, you should schedule an appointment with an air conditioning service immediately. It is an electrical issue that is causing the breaker to trip, which will affect the way your air conditioner performs. In addition, an electrical issue is a fire hazard, particularly if you smell something burning when the system is running.
Electrical issues are not a DIY job. If the breaker is often tripping, you should schedule an appointment for an emergency air conditioning service. If you ignore the problem, you will be putting your air conditioner and your home at risk.
#8 Strange Sounds
If your air conditioner is functioning properly, it should be relatively quiet when it is running. It is normal to hear a quiet clicking sound when the system is running. If you hear any other sounds, you should schedule an appointment for an air conditioning service.
Banging, whining, screeching, and squealing sounds are all signs that there is an issue with your air conditioner. If you ignore the problem, whatever is causing the issue will worsen and eventually cause a complete air conditioner breakdown. If this happens, you will need to have an air conditioning service replace the air conditioner, which can be very costly.
Because there are so many unusual sounds that signify one of a number of issues, it is best to call an air conditioning service rather than making it a DIY project. An HVAC tech will have the knowledge and experience to diagnose the issue and make the necessary repairs before severe damage occurs.
#9 Moisture Or Fluid Pooling Around the Unit
There should never be moisture or pooling fluid around the air conditioner in your Fort Worth, TX home. This is a serious issue, and you should schedule an appointment for an emergency air conditioning service.
There are several issues that could be causing the problem. The condensate hose could leak or clog, and the water cannot drain properly.
The issue could also be a frozen evaporator coil. When the coil freezes, it will eventually thaw out, leaving a pool of water around the air conditioner. When the evaporator coil continues to freeze and thaw, again and again, the water will continue pooling around the system.
Your system could also be leaking refrigerant, which is a more serious problem. If the refrigerant level gets too low, your air conditioner won’t function properly.
It is best to call an air conditioning system as soon as you discover the problem.
Why Choose One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating Of Fort Worth?
If your air conditioner isn’t working properly and you need to call an air conditioning service, contact One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating Of Fort Worth. We have been in business since 1988, and many of our customers have been loyal customers for as many as two decades.
You can feel safe when you allow our techs into your Fort Worth, TX home because our employees must pass a drug test, background check, and register with the state of Texas before they are hired.
You can also trust that our techs will be able to handle any job you have for them. Our HVAC techs are highly trained, and NATE certified. We understand that HVAC technology is constantly evolving; therefore, our techs are required to receive ongoing training to stay up to date with the latest technology.
To schedule an appointment for air conditioning service or any other HVAC service, give us a call today.