Inexpensive Ways To Make Your HVAC System More Effective With Heating And AC Repair | Fort Worth, TX
Photo By YinYang at istock
Every homeowner wants to save more on their utility bills. They want to still feel comfortable indoors and cool during hot summers and cold winters. Thankfully, there are ways you can do to make your HVAC system highly efficient, letting you save more money on energy.
In this article, we’ll give you lots of tips on how to make your HVAC system become more efficient. If you need additional help, do not hesitate to contact a heating and AC repair technician.
Hot air rises. In the summer months, this means that heat collects and stays in the room, causing your air conditioner to use more energy to provide cooler air to your room. During winter, the energy heats part of your home that no one uses frequently like your attic. What you want to do is get the hot air moving around in your room. A fan can help you distribute this air and let you save both on your cooling and heating costs.
Your HVAC will not be working so hard, which means you save more money and it also reduces the chances of you calling for heating and AC repair.
Keep in mind that though while fans can help you cool down, it’s not going to cool down your room. Try not to run a fan in a room where no one uses it. Otherwise, you will only be wasting energy. If you have a ceiling fan, adjust it so it rotates counterclockwise so it keeps you cool. Reverse it in the winter so it collects the warm air in your ceiling.
Use Free Solar Energy
In the winter, make sure that you open up your shades and curtains during the day to let natural light warm up your home. In the summer, close down your curtains and keep the blinds down. You can save money as you’ll be taking off the pressure of your system.
Push Yourself Out of Your Comfort Zone
Are you the type of person who keeps the thermostat set to the same temperature the entire season? Challenge yourself by setting your thermostat one degree higher during the summer and then one degree lower in the winter. If you do not feel the difference, go one more degree higher or lower. Try to experiment with different settings so determine which one you’re most comfortable with.
During summer, it may help if you wear summer clothes so you feel a bit cooler. Do the same for the winter; try to wear winter clothes so you wouldn’t have to turn up the heater. You’ll notice that a small difference will reflect on your heating and cooling bills.
Should you need heating and AC repair in Fort Worth, TX, don’t hesitate to contact a technician at One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating of Fort Worth for assistance.
Clean or Replace Air Filters
It’s recommended to clean or replace your filters once every two months. For specialty filters, check with the manufacturer as to when is the best time to clean or replace them.) Consider setting a reminder on your phone so you never forget that it’s time to switch your filters. If it’s difficult to replace your air filters, don’t hesitate to contact a heating and AC repair technician in Fort Worth, TX.
What type of filters are you using at home? When you have the regular filters but you are having persistent problems with pet hair, allergens, or dust, speak with a heating and AC repair technician in Fort Worth, TX about upgrading to a higher-end filter that has a higher MERV rating. All filters have a MERV rating and the highest rating is more capable of eliminating even the smallest particles in the air. They will be more expensive than the regular filters but they work best. Get this type of filter if you have family members suffering from either asthma or allergies.
Don’t Expose Your HVAC Unit to Direct Sunlight
As much as possible, do not position your HVAC system in direct sunlight as it will only use up more energy and may strain your system too. Place your HVAC system in a cooler area but you will need to make sure that you’re not putting it beneath shrubs or trees as they may clog the vents.
Speak with a heating and AC repair technician in Fort Worth, TX on where to best place the HVAC in your home.
Pre Season Routine Checkup
The best way to ensure that your HVAC system runs efficiently and you are saving energy, is to schedule regular maintenance and preferably before summer and winter. This also ensures that your HVAC system is in top shape and you won’t be calling a heating and AC repair technician in Fort Worth, TX in the middle of the season. It lets you avoid costly heating and AC repair too.
Another reason why you need to have the tune-up is for the heating and AC repair technician to determine if your system has problems that could potentially lead to a bigger problem. A problem detected early and resolved in a timely manner ensures that you will not have problems down the road.
Seal the Leak Ductwork
When your ducts are leaky, that means that your HVAC system is using up a lot of energy. You can resolve this problem by calling a heating and AC repair technician for assistance.
If your utility bills are already high, and some of your rooms are getting cooler or hotter than the others then you might have some problems with our vents. Speak with a heating and AC repair technician right away so they can help you diagnose and resolve this problem at the soonest possible time.
• If you are installing a new HVAC system, make sure that you speak with a heating and AC repair technician in Fort Worth, TX for advice on which HVAC system is best for your home. Select the HVAC with the highest Energy Star rating possible as that means that your HVAC has met strict government guidelines on optimum savings. You might even qualify for a rebate when you buy an energy-efficient HVAC system.
During installation, do hire a heating and AC repair technician in Fort Worth, TX to ensure the proper installation of your system.
• For your current HVAC system, make it a habit to clean your HVAC system and the rest of its components. Contact a heating and AC repair technician in Fort Worth, TX if you need help in cleaning the different components of your HVAC system.
Regular maintenance ensures that your system will be very efficient. If there are problems with your HVAC system, a technician can point them out. Depending on the problem, the technician may request repair or replacement.
Scheduling regular maintenance of your HVAC can immensely help. If you have scheduled none yet, now’s the time to call a technician and schedule a routine tune-up. Make sure that you hire a licensed heating and AC repair technician to ensure proper maintenance.
• What kind of light bulbs to choose? If you are still using incandescent light bulbs for some parts of your home, consider replacing that with Energy Star compact fluorescent light bulbs. The latter uses 75 less energy than their counterpart. Also, the light bulb pays for itself in about six months. Expect to pay about 10%less of your walls.
• What type of windows are in your home? If you are still using single-pane windows, now’s the time to switch to either double-pane or triple-pane windows. Remember that about 40% of energy usage gets lost in the windows. With high-efficient windows, your HVAC system will not work as hard.
Installing triple-pane windows doesn’t just help you save more energy on your heating and cooling but they can also protect your home from burglars. Triple pane windows are extremely durable. Also, energy-saving windows are effective at blocking outside sounds. If you are concerned about sounds outside, contact a heating and A repair right away so a technician can help you with the installation. Keep in mind that triple pane windows are extremely heavy, so it’s always better to hire a reliable company for this.
• Improve insulation in your home. The majority of a home’s energy goes toward cooling and heating. This means that homeowners must take the time to insulate their own homes. You can contact a professional if you do not know how to do this.
When insulating, you can either use spray foam insulation or regular fiberglass battling. Call a specialist for assistance on it. Also — make sure that you check for leaks, cracks, and holes in the walls. Heat may escape to those holes. So as much as possible, seal these hoses too.
If you are having problems with your HVAC, do not hesitate to contact a heating and AC repair technician in your area for assistance.
• Have your HVAC serviced regularly. Every homeowner must understand the importance of scheduling regular maintenance for their HVAC system. Get in touch with a heating and AC repair technician today for assistance. Your HVAC doesn’t last forever. If it’s not maintained well, it’s not going to give you the temperature that you desire at home. To compensate your system will work hard. In return, it will use up a lot of energy. This translates to higher utility bills.
Ideally, you should have your HVAC system serviced at least once a year. Better yet, do it twice a year, once before summer and another before winter. Regular maintenance ensures that you will always have HVAC systems in top shape. You can save more energy as they won’t use up a lot of power.
• Homeowners can also perform their own regular maintenance of their system. Periodically, they should inspect the furnace and then change the filters as required. Mechanical and electrical components of the HVAC must also be checked for wear and tear. They need to make sure that the heat exchanger doesn’t have any leaks or cracks. The drain pans pipes, fan blades, evaporator, and condenser coils must be checked too.
• Incorporate Other Sources of Heating. There are alternative heating available today that you can use: geothermal heat, wood stoves, solar heat, and fireplaces. Using these can significantly reduce your heating cost.
• Your air conditioning also needs maintenance. For your cooling systems, it’s also essential to perform annual maintenance, clean the filters and replace them as necessary. Minor problems must be corrected right away so it doesn’t become costly repairs or replacements.
How Else to Save Money on HVAC
When shopping for a new HVAC system, it’s better to speak with a technician so he can discuss with you the features and benefits of a certain model. Talking to a technician can help you make an informed decision.
Homeowners want to save money, not just on their utility bills but also on their HVAC systems. Remember that when you buy higher efficiency units, that means you also get more rebates and incentives. A total of $1,000 tax credit depending on your location is available.
The incentives for your heat pumps and air conditioners are based on the efficiency ratings. It’s measured by SEER or Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating. The higher the number, the higher the incentives.
Contact One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating of Fort Worth, TX
Do you need a heating and AC repair technician today? We can help! Our experienced technicians are equipped with the right tools and practical training to help all residents resolve their HVAC concerns. Our professional staff is always ready to assist; we will walk you through the entire process. Call us today for an appointment.