6 Signs That It Is Time To Call An AC Repair Company | Fort Worth, TX
Photo By WendellandCarolyn at istock
If you have been living in your home for at least one summer, you know how brutal the heat can be. On an average day, the temperature can reach 98 degrees. You won’t even get a break from the heat at night because the temperature on a summer night can reach 78 degrees. Most Fort Worth, TX residents, spend a lot of time in their homes with the air conditioner on. If your air conditioner fails, it can be impossible to be comfortable in your home. The best way to prevent a complete air conditioner breakdown is to recognize the signs that it is time to call an AC repair company early. If you can recognize the signs early, an HVAC tech can make the necessary repairs to prevent a minor issue from becoming a major one.
If the air conditioner in your home is experiencing any of the following issues, you should call an AC repair company immediately.
#1 Warm Air Coming From the Vents
If there is warm air coming from the vents in your Fort Worth, TX home, you may need to call an AC repair company. Before you make the call, you should check the thermostat setting. First, make sure that the thermostat is set to the cooling mode. If it isn’t, the system cannot produce cold air. Next, check the temperature setting on the thermostat. The temperature in the home must be warmer than the thermostat setting for the air conditioner to kick on. If everything checks out and there is still warm air coming from the vents, you should call a repair company. There are a few issues that could be causing the problem.
- A faulty thermostat: If the thermostat isn’t functioning properly, it won’t be able to tell your air conditioning system what to do.
- Faulty compressor: If the compressor isn’t functioning properly, your air conditioner won’t be able to produce cold air.
- Low Freon level: If there isn’t enough Freon in your air conditioning system, your air conditioner won’t be able to produce cold air. If you have a newer air conditioner, this is a simple fix. All the HVAC tech needs to do is add Freon to the system. If your air conditioner is old, you could have a problem. Most older air conditioners use R-22 Freon. This type of Freon has been deemed harmful to the environment, and the United States government has placed a ban on its production. Because it is no longer being produced, your HVAC tech may not be able to find it. If they can find R-22, it will be very expensive. If this is the case, you might want to consider having a new air conditioner installed.
It would take a licensed HVAC tech to find the source of the problem and make the necessary repair. The sooner you call an AC repair company, the sooner your home will be cool again.
#2 Poor Airflow
If the airflow coming from the vents in your Fort Worth, TX home is poor, it will be difficult for your home to reach the desired temperature. When you aren’t getting adequate airflow, your system will have to work overtime to keep the home cool. If your system is working overtime, it will cause an increase in your energy bills. Also, when your system is working overtime, it will put excess strain on your system, which can reduce its lifespan.
There are several issues that could be causing this problem.
- Clogged air ducts: Over time, dust, dirt, pet dander, and other debris can build up inside the air ducts in your Fort Worth, TX home. When this happens, it can obstruct the cold air coming to the vents, which can cause poor airflow.
- A leak in the air duct: If there is a hole or leak in the air ducts, the cold air will escape, and you won’t get the full force of cold air to the vents.
- Kinked or crushed flex duct: The flex duct is flexible and can bend or become crushed. When this happens, the cold air won’t be able to travel through the ducts, which can cause poor airflow.
- Faulty compressor: If your air conditioner’s compressor isn’t functioning properly, you won’t get adequate airflow to the vents.
- Slow fans: If the fan in your air conditioning system isn’t functioning properly, you won’t get adequate airflow to the vents.
- Dirty coils: If the outdoor condenser is blocked or dirty, it can restrict airflow. The same is true if the coils are dirty.
- Clogged filter: It is essential that you change your air conditioner filter regularly. If it becomes clogged, the airflow to your vents can be obstructed.
Because poor airflow can damage your air conditioner and increase your energy bill, it is essential that you schedule an appointment with a repair company as soon as possible. It would take the knowledge and experience of an HVAC tech to find the source of the problem and make the necessary repair.
#3 Thermostat Issues
The thermostat in your Fort Worth, TX home is your HVAC system’s brain. If your thermostat isn’t functioning properly, your air conditioner won’t function properly. There are a few signs that your thermostat isn’t functioning properly.
- The thermostat display is off or not responding.
- The air conditioner doesn’t kick on after turning it on.
- The air conditioner remains on even after the home reaches the set temperature.
- The air conditioner turns off before the home reaches the set temperature.
- The system kicks on and off continuously.
Before you call an AC repair company, check to make sure that the batteries aren’t dead. If the batteries are fine, you should call an AC repair company.
If the HVAC tech determines that your thermostat is no longer functioning, you should ask them about your options. There are a few types of thermostats that can be better than your previous one.
- Programmable thermostat: Programmable thermostats allow you to set your air conditioner to change temperatures automatically throughout the day. For example, you can set the thermostat to turn the AC down when you leave for work in the morning. You can also program it to turn up before you return home, so your home will be cool when you get there. Programmable thermostats can reduce the cost of your monthly energy bills.
- Wi-Fi thermostats: This thermostat allows you to control your air conditioner from your Smartphone or tablet. As long as you have a Wi-Fi connection, you can change the thermostat setting from anywhere in the world. Not only are Wi-Fi thermostats convenient, but they can also save money on your energy bill.
- Alexa thermostat: If you have an Alex device, you can have an Alexa thermostat installed. You can use voice commands to control your air conditioner. You can also control your thermostat using the Alexa app on your Smartphone or tablet.
When you call an AC repair company, the HVAC tech will discuss all of your options and the benefits of each.
#4 Strange Smell Coming From the Air Conditioner
When you turn on your air conditioner for the first time during the cooling season, it isn’t uncommon to smell a musty smell. Within a few minutes, the smell should dissipate. If you smell anything else, you should call an AC repair company. The issue you are having depends on the smell.
- A moldy smell: If you smell mold or mildew when your air conditioner is running, there could be mold in the air ducts or in the air conditioning itself. This is a serious problem that would require the help of an AC repair company immediately. Mold spores blowing around the home can create poor air quality, which can cause you and your family to experience allergy symptoms. If a member of your family has a chronic respiratory issue such as asthma, COPD, or chronic bronchitis, the mold spores can exasperate their condition. For the sake of your family’s health, it is essential that you call an AC repair company as soon as you notice the smell.
- A burning smell: If you smell something burning when your air conditioner is running, you should call an AC repair company immediately. The smell could be coming from the wires or insulation, which can cause an electrical fire. Because this is so serious, you should call an AC repair company immediately. Also, it would be best if you didn’t use your air conditioner until it was repaired.
#5 Strange Sounds Coming From the Air Conditioner
If the air conditioner in your Fort Worth, TX home is functioning properly, it should be quiet. The most you will hear is a low-level click when the system kicks on and off. If you hear any strange sounds, you should call an AC repair company immediately. The issue your system is experiencing depends on the sound that you hear.
- Banging: If you hear a banging sound, there could be a loose or broken part. This sound could also indicate that it is time to replace your compressor.
- Clanking: A clanking sound could mean that something is out of balance. It could also be due to a loose or failing compressor.
- Clicking: If you hear a constant clicking sound, there could be an issue with the electrical parts in the system.
- Buzzing: A buzzing sound could indicate many issues such as loose parts, debris in the unit, loose or unbalanced fan blades, a dirty condenser coil, or the blower is broken or out of balance.
- Screaming: If you hear a high-pitched screaming sound coming from the air conditioner, you should turn the system off immediately and call an AC repair company. The sound could be due to a refrigerant leak, which can harm your air conditioner and your family’s health. There could also be high internal pressure, which is very dangerous.
If you don’t call an AC repair company immediately after hearing the strange sound, a minor issue can become a major one.
#6 Moisture Around the Air Conditioner
There should never be any moisture or fluid pooling around the air conditioner. If there is, you should call an AC repair company immediately. The issue could be something simple like a clogged or broken condensate hose, which is relatively easy to fix. If you allow the problem to persist, the moisture can promote mold growth.
The issue could also be a refrigerant leak. This is more serious. If you allow the problem to persist, it can affect your air conditioner and your family’s health. If you have a refrigerant leak and your air conditioner is old, you may need to have it replaced. As mentioned above, old systems use R-22 refrigerant, which has been banned. It could be impossible for your HVAC tech to find enough R-22 to repair the problem.
It is best to schedule an appointment with an AC repair company as soon as you discover the moisture.
Why Choose One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating Of Fort Worth?
If you need to schedule an appointment for air conditioning repair and want to work with the best AC repair company around, schedule an appointment with One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating Of Fort Worth. We have been serving customers in the area since 1988. Many of our customers have been loyal customers for 20 years thanks to the excellent service we provide.
All of our HVAC techs are fully licensed, insured, and NATE certified. They are also required to receive ongoing training so they can stay up-to-date with the latest HVAC technology. We want you to trust the person you allow in your home, which is why we require all of our techs to pass a drug test and a background check. They are also registered with the state of Texas.
Your comfort is important to us, which is why we offer emergency repair service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If your air conditioner isn’t functioning properly, we will come to your home to make the repair regardless of the time of day.
To schedule an appointment with our AC repair company, give us a call today.