6 Signs You Should Call An AC Repair Company | Fort Worth, TX
Photo By Mustapha GUNNOUNI at Shutterstock
Every system in your Fort Worth, TX home is designed for comfort and convenience. Your plumbing system delivers running water to your home, your electrical system provides power to your home, and your heating system keeps your home warm during the winter. Your air conditioner keeps your house cool and comfortable.
The last thing you want is for your air conditioner to break down during the hottest time of the year. Fortunately, this can be prevented. Before the cooling season begins, you should have your air conditioner maintained. This will allow the HVAC tech to catch minor issues early and will ensure your system runs as efficiently as possible. The second way to prevent a breakdown is to recognize issues early to avoid a minor problem from becoming a major one.
If your air conditioner is experiencing any of the following issues, it is best to call an AC repair company right away.
#1 Faulty Thermostat
The thermostat in your Fort Worth, TX home is the heart of your HVAC system. The thermostat tells the system to produce cold air or warm air and also the desired temperature.
If your thermostat isn’t functioning correctly, your air conditioner won’t either, and you will need to call an AC company.
If you aren’t sure if your thermostat is broken, there are a few signs to look for.
- The thermostat is unresponsive, and you just replaced the batteries.
- Your air conditioner cycles too frequently.
- The temperature setting doesn’t match the temperature in your home.
- Your air conditioner won’t turn on.
When you call an AC repair company, they will send an HVAC tech to your home to inspect your thermostat. If the tech determines it is time for a replacement, they can discuss your options with you.
Over the past several years, thermostat technology has evolved. There are thermostats on the market today that can help save money on your heating and cooling costs.
- Programmable thermostat: This thermostat can be programmed to change the temperature setting automatically throughout the day. For example, you can program the thermostat to increase the temperature when you aren’t home and then turn it down before you arrive home, saving energy.
- Wi-Fi thermostat: This thermostat can be controlled using your cell phone or tablet. As long as you have an internet connection, you can control the thermostat from anywhere in the world.
- Smart thermostats: These thermostats work with Amazon Alexa or Google Home. When you are home, you can control the thermostat using the sound of your voice. If you aren’t home, you can use the smart device’s app on your phone.
When you call an AC repair company, they will send a tech to discuss the pros and cons of each option so you can make an informed decision.
#2 Strange Sounds
The great thing about central air conditioning systems is that they are quiet when they run. Window units tend to be very noisy, which can be disruptive. It is normal for the air conditioner in your Fort Worth, TX home to make a faint clicking sound when the system cycles. If your system is making any other sounds, you should call an AC repair company.
The sound your system is making can help the tech identify the issue.
- Banging: A banging sound signifies a loose or broken part in the compressor. It could also mean that it is time to replace the compressor.
- Clanking: This sound could mean the indoor blower or outdoor fan is out of balance.
- Buzzing: Buzzing sounds signify a number of issues such as loose parts, the fan blades are out of balance, the condenser coil is dirty, the air filter is dirty, or the blower is out of balance or failing. Because so many issues can cause a buzzing sound, it is best to call an AC repair company as soon as possible.
- High-pitched screaming: This sound signifies high pressure in the compressor, which is very dangerous. It is imperative that you turn off the air conditioner right away and call an AC repair company.
It may be easy to ignore these sounds; however, this is a mistake. Ignoring the problem could escalate the issue, requiring a more expensive repair. It is best to call an AC repair company as soon as you hear the strange sound.
#3 Moisture Or Pooling Liquid
If there is moisture around the indoor unit or a puddle of liquid, you should immediately call an AC repair company.
Moisture in the area often signifies a loose or cracked condensate hose, which is a relatively simple fix. It is best to call a professional right when you discover the moisture. Ignoring the issue can result in water damage around the unit and mold growth.
A puddle of fluid could be due to a refrigerant leak, which is more complicated to repair. If the air conditioner in your Fort Worth, TX home is under ten years old, an HVAC tech can fix the leak and refill the system with refrigerant. If your system is over ten years old, you may need to replace your existing air conditioner.
Most older systems use R-22 refrigerant, which the Environmental Protection Agency has deemed toxic and harmful for the environment. On January 1, 2020, the U.S. government banned the production of R-22. If your system is leaking refrigerant, an HVAC tech can fix the leak, but they won’t be able to get the R-22 to refill the system. In cases like this, the only option is to replace the air conditioner.
#4 Foul Smells
The air produced by the air conditioner in your Fort Worth, TX home should be odorless. If you smell something foul when the system is running, you should call an AC repair company.
The smell can help the HVAC tech determine the cause.
- Mold: The most common cause of a moldy smell is mold in the air ducts. The air ducts are dark, and the humidity can create moisture, which are the perfect conditions for mold growth. Mold in the ducts can be harmful to your family’s health. When your AC is running, mold spores will circulate through the air. Breathing in mold can cause allergy symptoms, respiratory issues and can weaken your immune system, making it difficult to fight off infection. If a family member has a chronic respiratory or lung condition, breathing in mold can worsen the condition.
When you call an AC repair company, they will send a tech to inspect your air ducts. If they find mold, an antimicrobial fogger can eradicate the mold and prevent future growth.
If there is no mold in the air ducts, it could be in your air conditioner and will be more challenging to eradicate. If the tech sent by the AC repair company cannot remove all of the mold, you may need to replace your air conditioner.
- Burning: A burning smell signifies an electrical issue. Ignoring the problem is dangerous because the electrical issue could spark an electrical fire.
Any strange smell coming from the air conditioner is a significant cause for concern, and you should call an AC repair company immediately.
#5 Poor Airflow
When you stand in front of a vent in your Fort Worth, TX home, you should feel a constant rush of cold air. If the airflow is weak, you should call an AC repair company immediately.
Inadequate airflow will make it difficult for your air conditioner to keep your home cool. It will need to work overtime to reach the desired temperature, which can cause an increase in your energy bills. Also, the extra work will strain the system, which can reduce its lifespan. These are costly issues; therefore, you should call an AC repair company right away.
There are a few issues that can cause inadequate airflow.
- Clogged air ducts: Regardless of how clean you keep your home, dirt, dust, and other debris will end up in the air ducts. In just one year, up to five pounds of debris can accumulate in the ducts, obstructing the airflow. Clogged air ducts can affect the air quality in your home. When your AC is running, the debris will circulate in the air, which can cause allergy symptoms.
- Damaged air ducts: If there is a crack or leak in your air ducts, you won’t be able to see the damage. Poor airflow from the vents is the only way to detect this issue. If there is a leak in the ducts, the cold air will escape before reaching the vents, reducing airflow.
- Broken blower: The blower is responsible for pushing the cold air from the system through the air ducts and to the vents in your home. If the blower isn’t working correctly, you won’t have adequate airflow.
An AC repair company will send a technician to your home to examine the air ducts and the blower to figure out why the airflow is poor.
#6 Warm Air
One of the most obvious signs that you need to call an AC repair company is if the air coming from the vents is warm. Before you make the call, check your thermostat. If your thermostat isn’t set correctly, your AC won’t produce cold air. First, make sure the thermostat is set to the cooling mode, and the fan is on. Next, check the temperature setting. The temperature in your home must be warmer than the setting on the thermostat for the system to produce cold air. If everything checks out, it is time to call an AC repair company.
A few issues can cause this problem, and you will need an HVAC professional to determine the cause.
- Dirty air filter: A dirty air filter will prevent the air from moving through the system, straining the AC, causing it to produce warm air. This is the best-case scenario because this issue is easy and inexpensive to resolve.
- The evaporator coils have frozen: The evaporator coils are an essential part of your air conditioner. The coil extracts the warm air from your home and uses it to produce cold air. If moisture develops on the coil, it can freeze, and the evaporator coil cannot do its job.
- Low refrigerant level: If there isn’t an adequate amount of refrigerant in your system, it will be difficult for the system to produce cool air.
- Refrigerant leak: If your system is leaking refrigerant, there won’t be enough in the system to produce cold air.
- There is no power going to the outdoor unit: The indoor and outdoor units need to work together to keep your home cool. If there is no power going to the outdoor unit, your system cannot produce cold air.
You will need an AC repair company to inspect the system to figure out why it isn’t producing cold air so they can make the necessary repair.
Why Choose One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating Of Fort Worth?
If the air conditioner in your Fort Worth, TX home is acting up, and you want to work with the best AC company in the business, contact One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating Of Fort Worth.
We are a full-service HVAC company that has been serving residential and business customers in the area since 1988. We take pride in the excellent service we provide. Thanks to our excellent service, many of our customers have been loyal customers for up to 20 years.
Our HVAC techs are highly trained, and NATE certified. In addition, they must pass a background check, drug test, and register with the state of Texas. We have these policies in place so our customers will feel safe when they let our techs into their homes.
HVAC technology is constantly evolving; therefore, our techs are required to receive ongoing training. We want to be sure they can install, maintain and repair the latest HVAC systems.
Over the years, our heating and AC repair company has earned an excellent reputation in the community. We have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and a 5-star rating on Google.
To schedule an appointment to have your air conditioner repaired or for any other HVAC service, give us at One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating of Fort Worth a call today.