AC Repair: How Do You Maximize The Efficiency Of Your HVAC System? | Fort Worth, TX
Photo By grandbrothers at Shutterstock
Homeowners must learn how to take care of their HVAC systems to ensure efficiency and to save money in the long run. While it’s a good idea to contact a technician in Fort Worth, TX for heating and AC repair jobs or maintenance, every homeowner must also be aware of how their system works and what they can do to maintain it.
In this article, we’ll give you tips on how to maximize the efficiency of your HVAC and give you tips to saving energy in the summer and winter.
Clean or Replace the Filters
Depending on the type of filter that you use for your system, you’ll need to either clean them or completely replace them with new filters. It’s recommended to change the filters every 3 months to ensure that your HVAC runs efficiently. When changing filters, do make sure to always follow manufacturer instructions. If you don’t know how to do it, contact an HVAC technician in Fort Worth, TX.
If you’re concerned about the health of your family or if you have family members suffering from allergies or respiratory illness, consider getting HEPA filters for your home. These types of filters can kill even the tiniest bacteria in your home. Having this filter ensures that you get quality indoor air.
You need to also clean the filter so your HVAC doesn’t work hard to give you a comfortable temperature year-round. It’ll avoid costly heating and AC repair down the road.
Schedule Regular Maintenance
As they say, Prevention is always better than cure. This holds true with your HVAC system. To prevent costly heating and AC repair in Fort Worth, TX, make sure that your HVAC gets service maintenance at least once a year.
Some homeowners may skip maintenance thinking that their system can get away with damage. When your HVAC isn’t maintained, it’s going to work harder to provide you with your desired temperature. It’s going to eventually fail. To avoid costly heating and air conditioning repairs or replacement, contact a technician in Fort Worth, TX for maintenance.
You can also do maintenance at home such as periodically checking your system for wear and tear, or if there are leaks in the system. Call a professional right away when you notice a problem. A technician would be able to help you diagnose the problem and then solve it too.
Never Ignore Minor Problems
At some point, you will run into a problem with your HVAC. Perhaps it won’t give you the much-needed cooled air or heated air. When this happens, it’s important that you don’t ignore it. Either check for yourself if there’s something wrong with your system or call a technician right away so they can do an inspection.
Never ignore even the smallest of problems with your HVAC as it will only progress to a major problem. If you want to avoid calling heating and AC repair services, call a technician right away when you notice that there is a minor problem with your system.
Homeowners may skip this part especially if it’s going to cost them money. What they don’t know is, major repairs will be more expensive. They can actually save more money in the long run as heating and AC repair are avoided.
Fix All Cracks and Gaps
When there are small gaps or cracks in your home, heat can escape. That will only lead to higher energy bills and your HVAC system will work hard. When not fixed, your HVAC system may shut down.
Ask help from a professional if you don’t know how to seal cracks in wood or concrete. But it’s best practice to always have the best tools that you can use to effectively seal the gap or cracks. Get yourself some drywall saw, pry bar, carpenter’s square, or a razor knife. Get help from a professional if you don’t know how to properly seal cracks or fix holes.
Also — leaks in the ductwork translate to an energy loss of about 20 to 40%. You can prevent this by using Aeroseal which is very effective in sealing cracks and holes.
Get a Programmable Thermostat
Keep in mind that reducing a few degrees of the temperature at home can already do wonders for your utility bills. When you get a programmable thermostat, you would be able to change the temperature even while away from home. This means you won’t be coming home feeling either so hot or cold.
If you can’t decide which brand of thermostat to get for your home, speak with a heating and AC repair technician for assistance.
When your HVAC system also isn’t giving you enough heated air, make sure that you also check your thermostat. Perhaps it was you who changed the setting. Get help from a technician if you don’t know how to use your programmable thermostat.
Insulate Your Home
Better insulation doesn’t only provide more comfort to your home but it also makes your HVAC work more efficiently. You can avoid costly heating and repair costs when you take the time to insulate your home. Check your attic and chimney as heated or cooled air may escape there. Contact a professional if you need additional help with insulating your home.
Invest in a New HVAC System
When you move into a new home, don’t forget to ask the old homeowners how old the HVAC system is. If it’s been used for several years, chances are you may do a lot of heating or AC repair to your system. Speak with a technician in Fort Worth, TX so he can help you evaluate whether it’s best to replace your entire system than having to deal with costly AC repairs down the road.
If you keep having problems with your system, it may be best to also replace it so you wouldn’t have to spend more money on AC repairs. Do consider investing in energy-efficient HVAC systems to maximize efficiency and so you can save money in the long run.
Use the Curtains and Blinds
Blinds and thick curtains are there for a reason. You can help your HVAC system when you make use of the resources that you have at home. When it’s summer, close the curtains so your home isn’t exposed to direct sunlight. Your HVAC system also won’t be strained when you at least try to lighten their load. Doing this lets you avoid costly AC repairs down the road caused by strained HVAC systems.
You can even take advantage of your fans as they can help better circulate the air in your home. It may help evenly distribute hot and cold air into your home.
Effective Energy-Saving Tips for your Home
There are a lot of things you can do to save energy in your home and some of our tips won’t even cost you a thing.
- During the day, always open your blinds and your curtains to naturally heat your home. At night, make sure you close them. Consider having either double-pane or triple-pane windows for your home as they are more effective in keeping heated air inside.
- Doors, windows, attics, and basements must be fully sealed. At least a month before winter, find time to check these areas of your home and make sure that no heat can escape in their cracks or holes. You wouldn’t want heating and AC repair services during winter because you’ve strained your heating equipment.
- While your HVAC can keep you warm, don’t always rely on it. You can save more energy if you’ll actually dress up for the winter. It’s that time of the year where you wear thick sweaters and use blankets in the living room. Don’t worry, it’s actually cozy to dress for the winter. You’ll feel even more comfortable when you sip your hot drink. This way you wouldn’t have to turn up your heating just to stay warm. This can also avoid heating and AC repair costs in the future.
- Consider using space heaters for your home. They are a good choice especially when you only need to heat a small part of your home. The good thing about this type of heater is you won’t need to worry about heat loss through the ducts that can equal to high energy usage. If you’re only using the bathroom or your garage, then consider buying space heaters so you can save money. It’s a good way to avoid straining your system and paying for costly heating and AC repair costs.
- You can be resourceful and save money on your heating when you leave the oven door open after using it. That way you’re not letting the heat go to waste. After making dinner, leave it open to allow extra heat to escape.
- One of the most practical things you can do to save on your heating bill is simply lowering the temperature in your home to just a couple of degrees. Doing this can already result in significant savings. Just make sure that you’re dressed for the weather so you don’t feel extremely cold.
Consider lowering it while you’re in bed too. You can save about 10% of your energy bill when you lower down the temperature to 10 degrees for 8 hours at night. Get an electric blanket to keep you warm.
During winter or summer, it’s important not to strain your HVAC system. Why? It will eventually fail and you will have to contact heating and AC repair.
- Get AC repair service maintenance of your air conditioner before the summer so a technician can thoroughly inspect your entire system to see if it’s still working efficiently. When hiring a technician, make sure they are licensed and from a reliable heating and AC repair company like One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating of Fort Worth to ensure that the maintenance job is done correctly.
- Always go with LED lights so you can save about 10 to 15 percent of energy during summer. This type of light uses 75% less energy and also lasts longer. You won’t have to spend a lot of money on your utility bill and won’t have to keep buying light bulbs.
- Avoid using black curtains as they absorb heat. Also, close them during the day to avoid heat. Because it’s summer, avoid using appliances that generate heat. As much as possible, don’t use your oven during the summer. Outdoor grilling is more ideal as it lets you save money on heating.
- Don’t strain your AC by always using it during summer. Let it rest from time to time and use the fan instead. Remember that when you keep straining your system, it may fail. AC repair costs can be expensive depending on the damage. But you can avoid this when you decide to use the fan instead of the air conditioner during the summer.
- Because it’s summer, homeowners may likely use several gallons of water either by taking lots of showers or watering their lawn. To save water bills, consider watering your plants early in the morning so the water doesn’t evaporate. Also, you can always invest in water-saving fixtures to save more money.
Call One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating of Fort Worth
Do you need a heating or AC repair service in Fort Worth, TX? We can definitely help! Our technicians at One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating of Fort Worth are licensed and highly experienced. We take pride in our commitment to ensure that all heating and AC repair jobs are done correctly. Our technicians have worked with several homeowners, helping them fix their HVAC systems. We also do installations and maintenance. Don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have questions. We are more than happy to assist. Call us today for an appointment.