Common Air Conditioner Repair Issues That Homeowners May Face | Azle, TX
Photo By bymuratdeniz at istock
Most HVAC systems can last anywhere from 15 to 25 years depending on the amount of maintenance that it receives. It also depends on whether you get the air conditioner repair services that are necessary immediately or whether you wait. Those who wait will tend to damage their AC further, which means that their air conditioner will need to be replaced within a shorter time frame.
This article will look at the most common types of AC issues that may emerge, as well as the types of repairs that can solve the issue. If you’re dealing with any of the problems listed below, give us a call! Texas weather is very hot. That’s why you’ll definitely want to get your AC repaired immediately if you live in Azle, TX.
#1. Indoor Water Leaks
If you notice that the air conditioning is leaking indoors, it means that your AC needs maintenance services immediately. There are many reasons why your AC unit may be leaking indoors. Some of the most common reasons include:
- A cracked or missing drain pan. The dream house is located underneath the evaporator coil. Its main responsibility is to collect any condensate that falls from your indoor unit. However, if it is cracked, misplaced or even rusted, the water inside your AC unit won’t be able to properly drain outdoors.
- A clogged drain line. This usually happens when your AC unit hasn’t been cleaned regularly. Allergy and fungi can easily grow within the unit due to the high amount of moisture that is present there. These microbes can easily clog the condensate drain line. You’ll want to get an air conditioner repair service that includes a complete cleaning of the inside of the AC. It’s recommended that you get this done professionally to avoid coming in contact with any of these microbes.
- Clogged air filter. Another reason why your AC unit may be leaking indoors is if the air filter is clogged. If the air filter is clogged airflow will be restricted within the AC unit. This causes the frozen evaporator coils to drip excess water down into your home. This is why most professionals recommend that you change your air filter regularly. This is another one of many air conditioner repair services that we offer.
Fortunately, water leaking indoors is one of the most common AC problems that we face, and we can easily provide you with the air conditioner repair services that you need. While we fix this problem, we’ll also check your unit to see if there is anything else that needs to be addressed.
#2. Outdoor Water Leaks
The AC unit may not only leak indoors. It can also leak out the rest as well. This problem isn’t as easy to notice. In general, you only notice this problem on hot summer days. You might notice that there’s a puddle of water outside the house underneath the compressor of the air conditioner.
There are many reasons why an air conditioner may leak water outdoors. Some of the most common reasons include:
- A dry air filter. Once again, it’s important that you change your air filter regularly. This is one of the main things that homeowners forget. Those who forget may find that they will need to get more air conditioner repair services on a regular basis. If you don’t change your air filter regularly, you’ll also find that the quality of air within your home will greatly decrease. This is particularly problematic for those with respiratory conditions.
- A broken condensate pan. Much like with the indoor leaks, the outdoor units also require a condensate pan to catch the excess water. If the pan is broken or misplaced, you will need to repair it or find a replacement immediately.
- A bad AC seal. The AC seal prevents water from dripping out of the outdoor unit. If the seal is broken or if there are cracks within the seal, it’s not unusual to see water leaking out. Fortunately, this type of AC conditioner repair is fairly easy to do.
- Improper insulation. The outdoor unit is especially vulnerable to temporal changes in the weather. Improper insulation can cause excess condensate to build up within the unit. Our licensed technicians can take a look at the insulation of your unit to see whether air conditioner repairs need to be made.
The air conditioner repair services for an AC unit that is leaking water outside is fairly easy to do. In general, these repairs aren’t too expensive.
#3. Dirty AC Filter
As mentioned above, the filters inside your AC unit play an extremely important role. The factors are responsible for cleaning the airflow and removing dust, pollutants and dirt from the air. A good filter will improve the quality within your home tremendously. Those struggling with respiratory conditions and allergies will be able to tell the difference between a clean and a dirty AC filter immediately!
If you haven’t changed or cleaned the AC filter recently, you might notice that there’s a decrease in airflow within the home. Your AC unit may not be running as smoothly, and you may notice that it doesn’t circulate cool air within the home as effectively. Or, you may notice that it doesn’t cool the air as well as before. In short, hot summer days can really become unbearably hot.
You should check your manufacturer’s recommendations to see when the filter needs to be cleaned or changed. In general, most manufacturers recommend that you change or clean the filter after 3 to 4 months. If you feel that the air conditioning isn’t working as properly due to a dirty air filter, you should call for air conditioner repair service immediately. Our licensed technicians can take a look at the type of filter that you have and the type of maintenance schedule that it should be on to recommend a suitable air conditioner repair service for your home.
Pet owners need to be particularly careful about changing and cleaning their air filters because pet dander can easily clog up the filters and wreak havoc within the air conditioning unit. If you own a pet, you should probably clean and change your air filter every two months instead of every 3 to 4 months.
Also, if you’re thinking of changing or replacing your AC unit in Azle, TX, you might want to consider switching to a SMART model. SMART AC systems can keep track of the filter’s status and send you a notification once it needs to be cleaned. It really takes the guesswork out of everything!
#4. Frozen Evaporator Coil
Another common problem that many homeowners run into is a frozen evaporator coil. This will require immediate air conditioner repair services.
If the evaporator coil becomes frozen, your AC unit will generally stop working altogether. The evaporator coil generally freezes when the AC unit doesn’t get enough air. This interrupts its operation and causes a sheet of ice to begin forming on the coil.
If there’s only a little bit of ice on the evaporator coil, your AC unit won’t be affected. It will still run; however, it may not be as energy efficient. Once the coil is encased with ice, however, the refrigerant inside will no longer be able to absorb latent heat. This prevents the AC unit from working completely, and is one of the most common reasons why homeowners call for air conditioner repair services.
Diagnosing a frozen evaporator coil is fairly simple. Our licensed technicians will need to take the AC unit apart in order to inspect the damage. They were generally let the evaporator coil thaw completely first. They will then inspect the entire unit to determine the type of air conditioner repair service that is needed.
#5. Electric Control Failure
Another reason why many homeowners call for an air conditioner repair service in Azle, TX is because their AC unit is not turning on at all. They may have tried to turn it on by pushing the button on the unit or they may have tried to use a remote control. Regardless, none of these methods have worked.
If this has happened to you, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you need to replace your AC unit with a new remodel. In fact, it usually means that there’s some type of electric control failure present.This could be because some of the parts are no longer making a connection to one another. Or, it could be because the wires in the terminals are corroded.
To diagnose this issue, our licensed technicians will need to take your AC unit apart in order to take a look at how the parts are connected inside. Only then will they be able to give you some advice on the type of air conditioner repair services that are needed. In most cases, this type of air conditioner repair is fairly easy to solve. All that you need to do is to replace the broken parts.
The only issue is that this may take some time if we do not have the parts that you need available. Depending on the brand and model of your AC unit, some of the parts may be on backorder. It could take some time for them to arrive. In these situations, you might want to consider using aftermarket parts if you can’t wait for the parts to be delivered. It’s best to ask our licensed technicians what they recommend.
#6. An AC Refrigerant Leak
This is completely different from a water leak indoors or outdoors. AC refrigerant is a special type of liquid that is responsible for cooling the air within your home. It basically absorbs the heat from the air indoors to cool.
At times, the refrigerant can leak out. This can greatly reduce the overall efficiency of your AC unit. It’s also important to note that AC refrigerants can be harmful to the environment. This is definitely one of those leaks that you want taken care of immediately. You definitely don’t want to wait, as the problem will not likely resolve itself and will only complicate matters even further in the future. It could cause a significant more amount of damage in the long run to ignore this problem.
There are many different types of air conditioner repair services that can fix this issue. The type of air conditioner repair services you need will all depend on whether the leak is a minor leak or a larger leak.
If the leak is a minor leak, most contractors will simply recommend topping up the refrigerant and patching up the leak. This is usually a quick fix. Your only issue that arises is if the leak is a larger one. In these situations, the whole entire system might need to be changed or replaced. This could become quite problematic and costly.
Our licensed technicians will take a look at where the leak is and how severe it is before recommending a solution on how to repair the issue.
Call One Hour Air Conditioning and Heating of Fort Worth to Deal with Any Air Conditioning problems You May Face
Let’s be honest. Regardless of how expensive of a model you purchase, you’re likely going to run into some issues with your air conditioning down the road. It could always be something small like a minor leak or it could be that your AC unit has stopped working completely.
Regardless of the issues that you’ve run into, consider giving One Hour Air Conditioning and Heating of Fort Worth a call if you’ve run into any AC issues. Our licensed technicians are insured and have a lot of experience dealing with many different types of air-conditioning issues. They are able to perform air conditioner repair services in a timely manner.
We serve many areas in Texas, including Azle, TX. Give us a call and we can have one of our technicians at your doorsteps within an hour! We’ll assess the situation to see what types of air conditioner repair services may be needed.