Photo By Tijana Simic at Shutterstock
Summer in Fort Worth, TX, is very warm. On an average summer day, the temperature can reach 94 to 98 degrees. When it is this hot outside, most people spend more time inside with the air conditioner running to escape the heat. This is often the best way to stay cool; however, if your air conditioner isn’t functioning correctly, your home will heat up quickly, and you won’t be able to escape the heat. You can call an HVAC company, but considering summer is an HVAC tech’s busiest time of year, there is no guarantee that you can get your air conditioner repaired the same day. In addition, if the tech needs to order a part, it can be days before your system is up and running again.
The best way to prevent a complete air conditioner breakdown is to recognize the signs you need to schedule an appointment for AC repair early. If the HVAC tech gets to your home when the issue first begins, they can make the necessary repair before something minor becomes a significant problem that will cause your system to shut down.
If your air conditioner is exhibiting any of the following signs, you should call an AC repair company immediately.
#1 Warm Air Coming From the Vents
The air conditioner in your home is designed to use warm air to pump out cold air, reducing the temperature in your home. If the air coming from the vents is warm, you may need to schedule an appointment for a repair.
Before you make the call, check the setting on the thermostat. If it isn’t set correctly, your air conditioner can’t do its job. First, make sure the system is set to the cooling mode. If it isn’t, your system won’t know to produce cold air. Next, check the temperature setting. If it is cooler in the house than that set on the thermostat, the air conditioner won’t kick on. It has to be warmer inside than the thermostat setting for the system to produce cool air. If you check the thermostat and it is set correctly, you should call an AC repair company.
There are a few issues that can prevent your air conditioner from producing cold air.
- Dirty air filters: The air filters should be replaced regularly. If it has been a while since you replaced the air filters, it could be the reason why your system isn’t producing cold air.
- Frozen evaporator coils: The evaporator coils are necessary for your air conditioner to produce cold air. They extract the heat from the air in your home to start the cooling process. Frozen evaporator coils will prevent the heat transfer, preventing the system from producing cold air.
- Failing condenser: If your system’s condenser is failing, it won’t be able to produce cold air.
- The outdoor unit has no power: Your indoor and outdoor units need power for your system to function correctly. If the outdoor unit’s power supply is interrupted, your system won’t produce cold air.
- Low refrigerant level: Your air conditioner needs refrigerant to produce cold air. If the system is low on refrigerant or if there is a refrigerant leak, the system won’t produce cold air.
Because there are so many issues that can prevent your system from producing cold air, you should call an AC company. You will need someone with knowledge and experience to figure out what is causing the problem to make the necessary repair.
#2 Reduced Airflow
Reduced airflow from the vents in your Fort Worth, TX home can make it difficult for your home to reach the desired temperature. In addition, poor airflow will cause your system to work harder to keep your home cool, which can cause a significant increase in your energy bills. The extra work will also put excess strain on your system, reducing its lifespan.
A few issues can cause reduced airflow and will require the assistance of an AC repair company.
- Clogged air ducts: In just one year, up to five pounds of dirt, dust, pet dander, and other debris can build up in the air ducts. When there is too much debris in the ducts, it can obstruct the airflow. Clogged air ducts cause more problems than reduced airflow. When your system is running, the debris in the ducts will circulate through the air your family breathes, which often results in allergy symptoms.
- Damaged air ducts: Cracked, broken, or crushed air ducts will cause reduced airflow. If there is a crack or break in the ducts, the cool air will escape before reaching the vents. If a portion of the air ducts is crushed, it will prevent the cool air from reaching the vents. An AC repair company can fix the air ducts, allowing adequate airflow.
- Faulty blower: The blower is responsible for delivering cold air to the vents in every room of your home. If the blower isn’t functioning correctly, you won’t have adequate airflow. An AC repair company can repair the blower or replace it if necessary.
If you are having airflow issues, you should call an AC repair company immediately. Making the call quickly will keep your home cool and comfortable. It can also keep your cooling costs down and ensure the air quality in your home is safe.
#3 A Moldy Smell In Your Home
If the air conditioner in your Fort Worth, TX home is functioning correctly, it shouldn’t emit a smell. When you turn on your system for the first time during the cooling season, it isn’t uncommon for it to emit a musty smell. This often lasts just a few minutes. If you smell mold when your air conditioner is running, you have a serious problem that will require the help of an AC repair company. There are a couple of other reasons why you smell mold.
- Mold in the air ducts: The air ducts are located under the floor, behind the walls, or above the ceiling. Because they are hidden, they don’t get any light. In addition, it is not uncommon for moisture and condensation to develop in the air ducts. The combination of darkness and moisture is the perfect breeding ground for mold.
- Mold in the air ducts will cause a foul smell. In addition, mold can be harmful to your family’s health. When the system is running, mold spores will circulate in the air. Breathing in mold can cause allergy symptoms, respiratory issues, and a weakened immune system.
When you call an AC repair company, the tech will inspect your air ducts, checking for mold. If they find any, they will use an antimicrobial fogger to eradicate the mold and prevent future mold growth.
- Mold in the air conditioner: If there is no mold in the air ducts, there could be mold in the air conditioner itself. This is a serious problem because there is no guarantee that an AC repair company can eliminate the mold. If they can’t, you will need to replace your air conditioner.
Because mold is so harmful to your family’s health, you should call an AC repair company as soon as you discover the smell. The tech will find the mold and eradicate it if possible.
#4 A Burning Smell In Your Home
If you smell something burning in your home, you have a reason to panic. If you have checked every area in the house and cannot find the source of the smell, the issue could be with the air conditioner.
A burning smell often indicates an electrical issue, and if you ignore it, your home is at risk for an electrical fire. If you suspect your air conditioner is causing the smell, you should turn it off immediately and call an AC repair company.
A tech will come to your Fort Worth, TX home to inspect your system to find the wires that have shorted out and make the necessary repair.
#5 Strange Sounds
Your air conditioner should be quiet when it is running. It is normal to hear a faint clicking sound when the system kicks on and off, but nothing else. If your air conditioner is making strange sounds, you should call an AC repair company immediately. Ignoring the sound could result in further damage.
The sound your system is making can help the HVAC tech determine the source of the problem.
- A banging sound: A banging sound often signifies a broken part in the compressor, such as a piston pin, connecting rod, or crankshaft. Banging sounds can also be caused by an unbalanced bower, or your air compressor has reached the end of its lifespan.
- A buzzing sound: There are a few issues that can cause a buzzing sound, including loose parts, debris in the indoor or outdoor unit, the fan blades are loose or unbalanced, the air filter needs to be changed, or the condenser coil needs to be cleaned.
- A screaming sound: If you hear a high-pitched screaming sound, you should immediately turn off your air conditioner and call an AC repair company. The sound signifies high pressure in the system, which can be very dangerous.
#6 Moisture Or Liquid Pooling Around the Unit
The area around the air conditioner in your Fort Worth, TX home should be dry. If there is moisture or liquid pooling around the unit, you should immediately call an AC repair company.
The issue could be something simple like a broken or disconnected condensate hose. However, the problem could also be a refrigerant leak, which is a serious issue. Refrigerant is harmful to humans, and the leak will affect the way your system functions.
If your air conditioner is relatively new, the leak can be repaired, and the tech will refill the refrigerant. If your system is over 10 years old, you may need to replace the system. Older models use R-22 refrigerant, which has been deemed toxic and harmful to the environment. The U.S. government banned the production of R-22 on January 1, 2020. Since the ban became effective, your AC repair company won’t be able to get R-22 to refill the system after repairing the leak, and you will need to replace your system.
#7 Faulty Thermostat
The thermostat is the smallest part of your HVAC system, and it is one of the most important. The thermostat is your system’s brain. The thermostat tells your system when to turn your system on and off. It also tells your HVAC system whether you want cool or warm air and the temperature you want your home to be.
There are a few ways to tell if your thermostat isn’t functioning correctly. The most obvious is if the thermostat doesn’t light up when you press a button. Before you call an AC repair company, try changing the batteries. If this doesn’t help, you will need to schedule an appointment for AC repair. The other signs of a faulty thermostat include:
- The system won’t turn on.
- The system is frequently cycling.
An HVAC tech can inspect the thermostat to determine if the thermostat needs to be replaced. If it does, there are thermostats that can help you save money.
- Programmable thermostats: A programmable thermostat allows you to set the temperature to change based on when you are home and when you aren’t. When your system isn’t running full blast all day, your energy bills will go down.
- Wi-Fi thermostats: You can control this type of thermostat using your smartphone or tablet from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection. You can set the system to increase the temperature when you aren’t home. Before you arrive home, you can change the temperature setting so your home will be cool when you walk in the door. Being able to control your thermostat when you aren’t home will help you save money on your cooling costs.
- Smart thermostat: A smart thermostat works in conjunction with your smart devices, such as Amazon Alexa or Google Home. You can control your thermostat using the sound of your voice. If you aren’t home, you can use the device app to control your thermostat.
Why Choose One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating Of Fort Worth?
If the air conditioner in your Fort Worth, TX home isn’t functioning correctly, contact One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating Of Fort Worth. We are a full-service HVAC company that has been serving customers in the area since 1988. Thanks to the excellent service we provide, many of our customers have been loyal customers for as many as 20 years.
Our techs are highly trained, and NATE certified, ensuring they can handle any job you have.
Before hiring a tech, they must pass a drug test, background check, and register with the state. We do this so our customers feel safe when they let a tech into their home.
To schedule an appointment for AC repair or any other HVAC service, give us a call today.