A heat exchanger is a component that is used to transfer heat generated from the burning of fuel while stopping the air that’s already in the house from mixing with the exhaust of the furnace. If the furnace has not been properly maintained by a professional service provider offering heating and air conditioning repair in Fort Worth, TX, small cracks can develop due to the continual expansion and contraction due to heating and cooling of the metal. Once the heat exchanger starts to fail, the gases in the exhaust, which includes carbon monoxide, enter and spreads throughout the home. While a heat exchanger is a crucial component of a furnace, failing to get regular maintenance inspections can lead to the buildup of carbon monoxide, which is a very serious safety hazard.
According to the CDC, carbon monoxide is given off by stoves, fireplaces, and furnaces. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal to adults, children and even pets with usual symptoms ranging from headaches and chest pain to upset stomach and dizziness. Since the symptoms of CO poisoning mimics that of the flu, many people do not recognize the difference. This is why the odorless gas is also known as a silent killer since it’s virtually undetectable without hiring the services of a professional heating and air conditioning repair in Fort Worth, TX.
Once the temperature starts to drop, folks fire up their furnaces to keep their homes warm and comfortable. Even if a residential furnace has been installed by a professional, and safely expels all carbon monoxide outside, the furnace still needs to be maintained annually to ensure that there are no issues or malfunctions that could lead to a buildup of carbon monoxide inside the home.
Surprisingly, there’s an alarming number of homeowners in the US who do not know whether they have a carbon monoxide detector or not. Not paying attention to the air quality in your home is dangerous, mainly because more than 20,000 people visit hospital emergency rooms each year in the US due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
That’s the reason why companies that are offering heating and air conditioning repair in Fort Worth, TX suggest that homeowners who have furnaces in their home use a carbon dioxide detector. These detectors need to be installed outside of each of the bedrooms but must be kept at least 15 feet away from all heating and cooking appliances in homes, especially in humid areas.
Dangers of a Cracked or Damaged Heat Exchanger?
A cracked or damaged heat exchanger of a furnace can allow harmful gases from the furnace to infect the are in the house. A furnace that’s emitting high levels of carbon monoxide along with other gases can lead to serious illnesses and can even be the cause of death.
Warning Signs of a Cracked/Damaged Heat Exchanger
Since carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas, it can be hard to detect by an untrained technician. This is the reason why you should always hire the services of a heating and air conditioning repair in Fort Worth, TX to get your furnace inspected properly. That said, once visual inspection that you can carry out is to turn on the heater and pay attention to the flame. If the flame flickers that could be one of the signs that the air from the furnace is entering the combustion area. In this scenario, homeowners are advised to get their furnace checked immediately by a company offering professional heating and air conditioning repair in Fort Worth, TX.
While this is one of the latter stages of carbon monoxide leaks, to make sure that you and your family is kept safe from the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning it is advised to install a carbon monoxide detector in the home along with the furnace. A carbon monoxide detector has been designed to set off a warning sound when it detects a buildup of carbon monoxide in the home. To stay safe from carbon monoxide poisoning, homeowners are advised to always have a functioning carbon monoxide detector at their home and make sure that its batteries should be replaced routinely.
Why Hire a Professional Technician?
The buildup of carbon monoxide in a home is not something that is to be taken lightly since it can lead to serious health issues. This is one of the main reasons why carbon monoxide buildup is to be taken seriously. As a rule of thumb, it is advised to have your furnace inspected at least twice a year by a professional heating and air conditioning repair in Fort Worth, TX. A professional furnace repair technician is able to identify the warning signs of a leaking heat exchanger and will advise you on the next step to take.
Once the service offering heating and air conditioning repair in Fort Worth, TX inspects your home’s furnace and diagnoses the problem, they will let you know your options on whether to repair the furnace or have it replaced. While some defects that can lead to a buildup of carbon monoxide in your home can be fixed by a service offering heating and air conditioning repair in Fort Worth, TX, others will require the unit to be replaced. In either situation, the technician you hire will be in the best position to give you advice on the next step towards getting a fully functional furnace.
One Hour Air Conditioning and Heating offers a world-class HVAC repair service that’s reliable and affordable. From air conditioning to heat and furnace repair along with other solutions, the company is known for delivering on its promise of exceptional quality and timely service. The company has a knowledgeable staff that’s ready to provide you with all the latest information you need on getting heating and air conditioning repair in Fort Worth, TX.