7 Signs That It Is Time To Schedule An Appointment For Air Conditioning Service | Azle, TX
Photo By STILLFX at istock
During the summer, most Azle, TX residents spend a large portion of their time in their homes. The temperature outdoors during a typical summer day can reach up to 98 degrees. Summers are also humid, which makes it feel hotter outside than it really is. Due to this heat, spending time outdoors can be very uncomfortable and make you miserable, making your air-conditioned home a much more comfortable place to spend the day.
You rely greatly on your air conditioning system during the summer. The last thing you want is to experience a complete air conditioner breakdown during the hottest time of the year. If your air conditioner isn’t working, you will get no relief from the blazing heat outside in your home.
Fortunately, there are early signs you can look for to let you know that your air conditioner isn’t functioning properly. If you can recognize the signs soon and schedule an appointment or air conditioning service, you can prevent a small issue from becoming a major one that will affect the temperature in your home.
#1 Thermostat Issues
The thermostat in your Azle, TX home is your HVAC system’s brain. It tells your system when to turn on and off, whether to cool or heat the home, and the desired temperature. If your thermostat isn’t functioning properly, your air conditioner won’t function properly either, and you should schedule an appointment for air conditioning service. There are a few signs to let you know that your thermostat has failed. These include:
- The thermostat display isn’t lit, or the thermostat is non-responsive. Before you schedule an appointment for air conditioning service, check the batteries. If the batteries are dead, replacing them will fix the problem.
- The heat or air conditioner won’t turn on.
- The heat or air conditioner comes on, but it stays on constantly without cycling.
- The heat or air conditioner turns on, but they turn off before the home reaches the desired temperature.
When you schedule an appointment for servicing service, you should discuss your thermostat options with the HVAC tech. New thermostat technology makes it possible to save money on your monthly energy bills.
- Programmable thermostats: Programmable thermostats can be set to change the thermostat at different times of the day. For example, you can set the air conditioner to turn down when you leave for work, and nobody is home. You can also program the air conditioner to turn up before you get home so you can return to a cool, air-conditioned home. Because your system won’t be running on high all day, you can save money on your energy bills.
- Wi-Fi thermostats: You can control this type of thermostat from your cellphone or tablet. As long as you have a Wi-Fi connection, you can change the thermostat setting from anywhere in the world. When you can control the temperature setting, you can save money on your energy bills.
- Smart thermostats: Smart thermostats work in conjunction with your Alexa or Google Nest. You can use a simple voice command in your home to adjust the thermostat setting from inside your home. You can also adjust the setting when you aren’t at home using the app on your cellphone or tablet.
#2 Warm Air Coming From the Vents
If you turn on the air conditioner in your Azle, TX home and the air is coming out warm, you may need to schedule an appointment for air conditioning service. Before you make the call, you should check the thermostat settings. First, make sure the thermostat is set to the cooling mode. If it isn’t, your system won’t produce cool air. In addition, you should check the thermostat temperature setting. If it is colder in the house than the setting on the thermostat, the system won’t produce cold air.
If your thermostat is set correctly, you should schedule an appointment for an air conditioning service. There are a few issues that could be causing warm air to come from the vents.
- A faulty thermostat
- A broken compressor
- Low refrigerant levels
- The air conditioner has reached its maximum lifespan
When you schedule an appointment for air conditioning repair, the HVAC tech will inspect your system to determine the cause of the problem. This inspection will let them know if your air conditioner can be repaired or it has reached the maximum lifespan and needs to be replaced.
#3 Poor Airflow From the Vents
If the airflow coming from the vents in your Azle, TX home is poor, it can be difficult for your home to reach the desired temperature. Your air conditioning system will need to work harder to keep your home cool, which can put excess strain on your system. This excess strain can cause a significant increase in your energy bills and reduce your system’s lifespan. Due to these issues, it is essential that you schedule an appointment for air conditioning service immediately.
There are a few issues that could be causing poor airflow. These include:
- Debris in the air ducts: The air ducts are responsible for delivering heated or air-conditioned air from the system to the vents. Over the course of a year, up to 15 pounds of dust, dirt, pet dander, and other debris can build up inside the air ducts. This issue can cause more serious problems than poor airflow. When the allergens circulate throughout the home, it can affect your home’s air quality and cause your family to develop allergy symptoms.
- Leaks or cracks in the air ducts: If there is a crack or leak in the air ducts, the air-conditioned air will escape, resulting in poor airflow.
- Malfunctioning fan: The fan in your air conditioning system helps blow the air through the vents. If the fan isn’t working properly, the airflow will be poor.
The sooner you schedule an appointment for air conditioning service, the sooner your home will be cool and comfortable again.
#4 Strange Smells When the Air Conditioner Is Running
When the air conditioner in your Azle, TX home is not in use, it is not uncommon for the dust to build up in the vents. When you turn on your air conditioner for the first time during the cooling season, it is not uncommon to smell a dusty smell, which dissipates within a few minutes. If you smell anything else, you should schedule an appointment for an air conditioning service.
- Must or mold: If you smell a musty or moldy smell when your air conditioner is running, you should schedule an appointment for air conditioning service immediately. There could be mold in the air ducts, which can put your family’s health at risk. When the mold spores circulate through the home and your family breathes them in, it can cause allergy symptoms, respiratory distress, and a compromised immune system. If a family member has a chronic lung infection, such as asthma, chronic bronchitis, COPD, or lung cancer, breathing in mold can worsen the symptoms and can be very dangerous. A professional specializing in air conditioning service can clean the mold from the ducts using an antimicrobial fogger that will also prevent future mold growth. There could also be mold in the system itself, which needs to be cleaned.
- Burning smell: If you smell something burning when your air conditioner is running, you should turn off the system and schedule an appointment for an air conditioning service. There could be a short in the system or the electrical wires, resulting in a damaging electrical fire.
#5 High Humidity In the Home
The air conditioner in your home is designed to do more than provide heat and air-conditioned air. It is also designed to reduce the humidity level in the home. If your home is more humid than usual, you should schedule an appointment for an air conditioning service. The issue could be that your system needs to be recalibrated, which is a relatively simple fix. Your air conditioner may have reached its maximum lifespan, which would require you to have it replaced. When you schedule an appointment for air conditioning service, the HVAC tech will inspect the system to figure out why your home is so humid and take the necessary steps to make your home dry and comfortable again.
#6 Strange Sounds Coming From the System
If the air conditioner in your home is functioning correctly, you shouldn’t hear anything more than a quiet click when the system kicks on and off. If you hear any other sounds when your system is running, you should schedule an appointment for an air conditioning service. The issue with the system depends on the sound that it is making.
- Banging: A banging sound typically signifies a loose or broken part within the compressor. It could also mean the indoor blower isn’t balanced properly, or the compressor needs to be replaced. The longer you wait to schedule an appointment for air conditioning service, the more damage can occur.
- Clanking: Clanking can also signify a loose or out of the balanced part. It can also signify a failed compressor that needs to be replaced.
- Constant clicking: If your system is constantly clicking, there could be a defective control, or the thermostat could be failing.
- Buzzing: A buzzing sound could signify various issues, such as loose parts, debris in the indoor or outdoor unit, the fan blades are out of balance, a dirty condenser coil, a dirty air filter, or refrigerant leaks. Because there are so many issues that can cause this sound, it is best to leave the diagnosis to an HVAC professional.
- Squealing: Squealing typically signifies an issue with the outdoor fan motor or the indoor blower motor.
- Screaming: A high-pitched screaming is very serious, and you should turn your system off immediately and schedule an appointment for air conditioning service. The screaming is a sign of high internal pressure within the compressor, which can be very dangerous. It is best to call an HVAC professional immediately and don’t use the air conditioner until the problem has been repaired.
#7 Moisture Or Water Pooling
There should never be moisture or pooling liquid around the air conditioner. The issue could be a broken or disconnected condensate hose, which is a relatively simple fix. If you don’t schedule an appointment for air conditioning service quickly, the moisture can cause water damage and mold growth.
The issue could be a refrigerant leak, which is a more serious issue. This is especially true if you have an older system that uses R-22 refrigerant. The U.S. government has banned this type of refrigerant because it is toxic and harmful to the environment. Since the ban in 2020, it is difficult to find R-22. If your HVAC can get their hands on some, it will be extremely expensive. If your system is old and is leaking refrigerant, you may need to have your system replaced.
Why Choose One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating Of Fort Worth?
If you have an issue with the air conditioning service in your Azle, TX home that requires air conditioning service, schedule an appointment with One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating of Fort Worth. We have been serving customers in the area since 1988, and thanks to our excellent service, many of our customers have been loyal customers for over 20 years.
We are a fully licensed and insured company, and all of our HVAC techs are NATE certified. Because HVAC technology is constantly changing, we require our techs to receive ongoing training regularly.
We want you to feel safe when you allow our HVAC techs into your home; therefore, we require our techs to pass background checks and drug tests, and they must be registered with the state of Texas.
We have been in the HVAC business long enough to know that air conditioning issues can arise at the most inconvenient times. Because your comfort is so important to us, we offer emergency service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you call outside of our regular business hours, we will do our best to get to your home as quickly as we would if you had called during normal business hours.
To schedule an appointment for air conditioning service or HVAC system installation or replacement, give us a call today.